Need a last minute gift? Want to support your local farmers and show your loved ones that you care? Look no further than the UMass Fresh Local Breakfast Basket!
Every careully crafted basket contains everything you need for a special, delicious holiday breakfast you can feel good about.
We hand-picked products we believe in to deliver a true taste of New England. Each basket includes:
- 1 LB Four Starm Farms Pancake Mix
- 1 PT North Hadley Sugar Shack Maple Syrup
- 1-12 OZ jar Czajkowski Farm Tripleberry Jam
- 1 - 8 OZ jar Bear Meadow Farm Apple Butter
- 1 Peterboro Holiday Centerpriece Basket
Pick up your own UMass Fresh Local Breakfast Basket at Harvest Market in the Campus Center starting December 22, 2016 for $40!
Make perfectly delicious, perfectly local panckes at home! Here's our chef-tested recipe:
UMass Fresh Local Pancakes
makes 6 panckes
1 cup UMass Fresh Local Pancake Mix
1 cup buttermilk or water
2 tbsp melted butter or vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
butter or vegetable oil, for greasing
1. Heat frying pan over medium heat.
2. Place pancake mix in a medium bowl; in another bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla.
3. Pour liquid ingredients into pancake mix. Gently whisk until just combined- lumps are okay.
4. Lightly grease pan with butter; remove excess with paper towel.
5. Using a 1/4 cup measurer, gently pour batter onto pan.
6. Once bubbles begin to form around the edge of the pancakes, carefully flip the pancakes.
7. Serve with North Hadley Sugar Shack maple syrup and Czajkowski Farms jams.
Need some pro pancake tips?
1. Keep it local!
Make your pancakes even more special by creating our recipe with New England products like Mapleline Farm buttermilk and Cabot Creamery butter.
2. Lumps are your friends.
A lump-free pancake batter means you over-mixed it. Leave the lumps - only circle your whisk about 20 times around your bowl for pillowy pancakes.
3. Don't go crazy with the butter...or oil.
When coating your pan with fat to cook your pancakes, use as little butter or oil as possible. Wipe up any excess with paper towels - there should be no fat pooling on the pan.
Happy cooking, and from everyone at UMass Dining, Happy Holidays!
Entries are submitted by project staff and UMass students.