Members of the Summer Crew work under the Sustainability Coordinator of Campus Gardens and Student Garden Coordinators to support the planning and upkeep of the UMass Permaculture gardens and educate garden visitors. For this role, members of the Summer Crew will develop and maintain our on-campus permaculture sites at Franklin, Berkshire, Hillside, Worcester, and Hampshire. Daily responsibilities may include planting, watering, weeding, harvesting, working with volunteers, and leading tours. Crew members will also assist in longer-term projects, such as repairing raised beds, installing mushroom production systems, plant design, and other tasks as needed. Throughout this process, members of the Summer Crew learn about permaculture design, sustainable agriculture techniques, plant identification, and volunteer leadership.
- Must have passion and interest in sustainable food production
- Must love working outdoors with individuals and groups in a variety of weather – we only break for thunderstorms!
- Must enjoy manual labor and working in a team environment
- Valid driver’s license strongly preferred
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs
- Must be an undergraduate at UMass Amherst
Hours: 15 hrs/week. Work times are 8:00 am-12:00 pm, Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
Start and End Dates: Start date will be decided by a group consensus, between Monday May 7th and Monday May 14th. End date is Wednesday, August 29th.
Compensation: The Summer Crew works 15-20 hours each week at a rate of $13/ hour.
We look forward to reviewing your applications! Feel free to reach out to Hannah Logan (email@example.com) with any questions you have!